Martin 2-0-2 / RM-1 / VC-3A
Attempting to gain a share of the post-World War II demand for civil airliners, the Glenn L. Martin Company flew on 22 November 1946 the prototype of a twin-engine 36/40-seat unpressurised transport designated Martin 2-0-2.
Power was provided by twin Pratt & Whitney 18-cylinder air cooled radial engines capable of developing a normal output of 1,800 hp, 2,100 hp for takeoff or 2,400 hp with water injection. The engines turned Hamilton Standard three-blade reversible-pitch airscrews.
The “Two-O-Two” was the first twin-engine airliner of postwar design to receive certification for airline use. Accommodations provided for a crew of three or four plus 36 to 40 passengers. A version of the 202 was outfitted with larger fuel tanks to increase its range to 2,365.
The first of these entered service in October 1947, but the loss of a 2-0-2 in 1948 as a result of wing structural failure led to modification of other in-service aircraft and production of this version was brought to an end.
When production ended in early 1953 a total of 103 had been built, this number including two supplied to the Coast Guard as staff transports under the designation RM-1G (later RM-1Z and finally VC-3A); they were subsequently transferred to the US Navy.
A total of 148 of the 2-0-2, 3-0-3, and 4-0-4 types were built until 1952.
Engines two 2,100-hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800 CB-16.
Wingspan: 28.42 m / 93 ft 3 in
Length: 21.74 m / 71 ft 4 in
Height: 8.66 m / 28 ft 5 in
Wing area: 80.27 sq.m / 864.02 sq ft
MTOW 19504 kg / 42999 lb
Empty wt. 26,930 lb
Top speed 311 mph.
Cruise 286 mph.
Stall 76 mph.
Initial climb rate 2,200 fpm
Range 3220 km / 2001 miles
Ceiling 33,000 ft
Takeoff distance (50') 1,565 ft
Landing distance (50') 1,720 ft