Lockheed L.89 / XR6O-1 Constitution / XR6V-1
Lockheed XR6O-1 Constitution
The Constitution design effort began during the war to provide an airplane capable of carrying more payload farther than could contemporary types. Pan American engineers assisted Lockheed in the initial development of the Constitution, officially sponsored by the US Navy.
It was slightly larger than the DC-7, both dimensionally and in weight, and was powered by four 3,500hp (2,600kW) Pratt & Whitney Wasp Major engines. The pressurized fuselage would have provided accommodation for as many as 92 passengers on the upper deck and 76 on the lower deck.
Because of greater wartime priorities, the first of two military Model 89 Constitutions did not fly until November 9, 1946. By that time, both Pan American and the Navy had lost interest. The airplanes were delivered to the Navy in 1949 with the military model designation XR6O-1.
Later designated XR6V-1s, both Constitutions were sold by the US Navy in 1958 after less than 2,000 flying hours each. The first ended its days at Opa-locka, Florida, in the 1970s, while the second was scrapped at Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1969.
Engines: 4 x Pratt & Whitney Wasp Major, 3,500hp (2,600kW)
Pax capacity: 168