The D VI followed the D II series and was built for the January 1918 German fighter competition. The type had a clinker-built fuselage, with overlapping planks laid over an internal framework, and the lower wing was supported just under the fuselage by a small keel. The type was powered by the 119-kW (160-hp) Mercedes DIII inline, and was redesignated D VIa when the D VIb was produced with a different engine because of Mercedes engine shortages. Development added features such as a ventral fin under a revised tail unit, and small-scale production was undertaken to provide an alternative should production of the Fokker D VII be interrupted for any reason. A few D VIs were used over the Western Front, while others went to the German navy for the defence of seaplane bases.
D.VI / D.VIa
Engine: Mercedes DIII, 119-kW (160-hp).
Span: 9.4m (30ft l0in)
Length: 6.3m (20ft 8in)
Powerplant: l x Benz Bz.IIIa, 149kW (200 hp)
Armament: 2 x 7.92-mm (0.312-in) LMG 08/15 mg
Max T/O weight: 860 kg (1,896 lb)
Max speed: 114 mph
Operational endurance: 2 hr