Letov SH-1 / Š.1 / Š.10 / SM-1 / Š.2 / Šm A 1 / Š.5
Since the first controllable heavier-than-air flights had been made, the Austria-Hungarian administration did not intend to establish aeroplane manufacturing in Bohemian or Moravian Lands. An Aeroplane Repairs Works “Al-Ma” was set up by Dr. Martius, being of German origin, in the Prague district of Holešovice in 1916. Several days after the independent state of Czechoslovakia had come into existence on October 28, 1918 the Air Force Corps was founded and an order to move all the aeroplanes and air material to Prague was issued. On November 18, 1918 nine planes were seized by the Czechs and eight of them ferried from the town of Cheb to Prague situated near border on Germany so that the Germans were prevented from flying them into Germany. This unexpected raid was commanded by Cpt. Adamec [Addammaets] who was later appointed the Aeroplane Arsenal`s CO. The ninth Czech pilot had to land in Germany and his aircraft was confiscated.
Every plane was concentrated at the Prague Fair Facility until February 1919. A young P/O Alois Smolik was in charge of repairs. He used to be as an asistant to the Air Expert and Scholar Profesor Miess. The Sm-1 biplane designed by Alois Smolik and flight-tested in Apríl 1919 persuaded the Czechoslovak government to prefer the home-production aircraft to ones imported from France, though 115 French planes were presented them.
Originally built in 1910 as the SH-1 with 127 kW (230 hp) Hiero L engines, the SH-1 was later redesignated Š-1. 28 were built.
The Letov Š-1 was a single-engined, two-seat biplane surveillance aircraft. Designed by Alois Šmolík at Letov Kbely, it was first military aircraft built in Czechoslovakia.
The Š-1 first flew in 1920.
The SM-1 variant was powered by 194 kW (260 hp) Maybach Mb.IVa engines and later redesignated Š-2. 64 were built.This 2 seater was armed with one forward firing machine gun and had a twin movable machine gun in the rear. 28 were built.
Letov Š-2 (re-engined Š-1) at the Kbely museum
The Sm A 1 was a commercial variant with a canopy over the rear cockpit for 2 passengers.
The Letov Š-10 of 1921 was an Š-1 trainer variant with a 100 hp 6-cyl Breitfeld & Danek Blesk (Czech Mercedes DI) engine.
The Letov Š-5 was an Š-1 modified for evaporate cooling trials.
The primary user was the Czechoslovakian Air Force.
SH-1 / Š.1
Engine: 1 × Hiero 6L inline engine, 169 kW (230 hp)
Wingspan: 13.23 m (43 ft 4.75 in)
Length: 8.31 m / 27 ft 3 in
Height: 3.10m / 10 ft 2 in
Empty weight: 861 kg
Max takeoff weight: 1,375 kg (3,031 lb)
Maximum speed: 194 km/h (120 mph)
Range: 715 km / 445 miles
Climb to 5000 m: 52 min
Service ceiling: 6,000 m / 19,685 ft
Armament: 1x fixed machine gun, 1x twin machine gun on swivel mount
SM-1 / Š.2
Engine: 1 x 260hp Maybach Mb.IVa
Max take-off weight: 1492 kg / 3289 lb
Empty weight: 970 kg / 2138 lb
Wingspan: 13.02 m / 43 ft 9 in
Length: 8.52 m / 28 ft 11 in
Height: 3.31 m / 11 ft 10 in
Wing area: 36.17 sq.m / 389.33 sq ft
Max. speed: 198 km/h / 123 mph
Cruise speed: 167 km/h / 104 mph
Ceiling: 6500 m / 21350 ft
Range: 667 km / 414 miles
Armament: 3 x 7.7mm, 120kg of bombs
Engine: 100 hp 6-cyl Breitfeld & Danek Blesk