Lavochkin La-152 / La-154 / La-156
The La-152 wing, although similar in planform to that of the earlier La-150, employed a new profile of only 9.1% - the thinnest section adopted up to that time in the Soviet Union - and was lowered to mid position. The RD-10 turbojet was retained, but to avoid the duct losses suffered by the La-150, the power plant was installed in the extreme nose, exhausting beneath a sturdier rear fuselage. The CG position was restored by moving the cockpit aft, and armament was three 23mm NS-23 cannon.
Work on the La-152 was initiated by the Lavochkin bureau within two months of a start being made on the La-150, and factory flight testing began in October 1946, only a few weeks after the La-150 had entered flight test. Three prototypes were built in parallel, all similarly armed and differing primarily in power plant, the second and third aircraft being designated La-154 and La-156 respectively.
The La-154 was to have been fitted with a Lyulka TR-1 turbojet of 1350kg, but was never flown owing to difficulties with this engine.
After initial trials with a standard RD-10, the La-156, which had increased tankage and had initially flown in February 1947, was fitted with an RD-10F engine equipped with an afterburner extension boosting thrust by 30% (to 2425 lb / 1100 kg).
The RD-10F-equipped La-156 was flown for the first time in September 1947 - the first Soviet aircraft to fly with an afterburning engine - and attained a max speed of 905km/h at 2000m. The flight test programme continued until the end of January 1948.
Max take-off weight: 3239 kg / 7141 lb
Empty weight: 2310 kg / 5093 lb
Wingspan: 8.20 m / 26 ft 11 in
Length: 9.12 m / 29 ft 11 in
Wing area: 12.15 sq.m / 130.78 sq ft
Max. speed: 778 km/h / 483 mph
Range: 492 km / 306 miles