LWS LWS-7 Mewa II
In 1939, the LWS-7 Mewa II was being designed at LWS as a further development of the LWS-3 Mewa. Complete technical drawings were apparantly prepared in summer 1939 and the first prototype was planned to be built in autumn 1939. The development schedule planned for a first flight in Spring or Summer 1940 and the start of production in Autumn/Winter 1940. The first production LWS-7 Mewa II was to be handed over to Polish Air Force in early 1941. The LWS-7 utilised new wings and a semi-monocoque fuselage with less drag and was also to be fitted with a more powerful 916 hp (683 kW) PZL Pegaz XX engine (Bristol Pegasus XX) or a planned 1000 hp (750 kW) PZL Waran. A maximum speed of 400–420 km/h (248-260mph) was estimated from tests performed by the Aerodynamic Institute of the Warsaw University of Technology. Before the war, only a wooden model for aerodynamics testing had been completed. Drawings of the LWS-7 were evacuated in September 1939 to the Polish embassy in Romania by the LWS director Aleksander Sipowicz. Many publications claim that they were handed over to the Bulgarians, but it is not clear whether or not this is correct (possibly, plans for the LWS-3B may have been turned over as the Bulgarian-built KB-11 Fazan reconnaissance plane bore more than a passing resemblance to the Mewa).