Junkers J.13 / F-13
First flown on June 25, 1919 (as the J 13), the Junkers F 13 was the first airworthy all-metal commercial aircraft. Entering service in 1919, it carried only four passengers, albeit in a comfortable cabin - even fitted with seatbelts, then rare - the F 13 played a major role in the development of air transport, particularly in Europe and South America.
Negotiations by the new Soviet government for the produc-tion of Junkers aircraft in Russia were started in 1919; they resulted in German assembly in Russia of the F.13 transport from German manufactured parts.
Deutsche Luft Hansa was a significant purchaser (of 72 examples).
Estimates of total production vary between 318 and 370, over a decade of production, and there were more than 60 variations of the basic design built up to 1932. The seaplane version was fitted with larger wings than the land based version.
After the F13, Junkers was forced to stop work on an advanced cantilever wing monoplane transport because of the restrictions on the performance of German airplanes.
One was still active in Brazil as late as 1952.
Engine: 1 x 265hp BMW III
Max take-off weight: 2703 kg / 5959 lb
Wingspan: 17.75 m / 58 ft 3 in
Length: 9.60 m / 31 ft 6 in
Height: 3.61 m / 11 ft 10 in
Max. speed: 177 km/h / 110 mph
Cruise speed: 140 km/h / 87 mph
Range: 648 km / 403 miles