The Junkers J.IV, which flew for the first time early in 1917 and became operational at the beginning of 1918, was an all-metal biplane designed for close support and tactical reconnaissance.
When ordered for the German Army, Junkers was not geared for mass production. Junkers-Fokker-Werke was formed at Dessau on October 20,1917, with equal shares held by Junkers and Anthony Fokker. Manufacture was shared between the Junkers and Fokker factories, which produced a total of 227 aircraft between them.
Conflicts of personality caused Fokker and Junkers to separate in 1918, and the Junkers re-formed following April as Junkers FlugzeugwerkeAG.
A ground-attach and observation machine, the crew was protected by 5mm steel plating. Instead of radio equipment, early J.IVs carried two downward-firing Parabellum machine guns, but these were deleted because of problems with accurate aim.
Engine: 1 x 200hp Benz Bz.IV
Wingspan: 16.00 m / 52 ft 6 in
Length: 9.10 m / 29 ft 10 in
Height: 3.40 m / 11 ft 2 in
Max. speed: 155 km/h / 96 mph
Ceiling: 6000 m / 19700 ft
Range: 310 km / 193 miles
Armament: 3 x 7.62mm machine-guns