Junkers J 16 / K 16
Based on the experimental results with the J 15 touring aircraft, the K 16 (originally designated J16) again offered space for two people in a closed passenger cabin and had an open pilot's seat, this was now between the engine and the cabin and offered the pilot much better view.It was a conventional, high-wing cantilever monoplane of all-metal construction, equipped with fixed, tailwheel undercarriage.
Due to the stringent requirements of the Treaty of Versailles, the Daimler D III engine had to be replaced by a less powerful Siemens Sh 4 (65 hp).
The construction of the first K 16 was still in the time of total aircraft ban in accordance with the provisions of the Versailles Treaty. After the completion, the prototype was disassembled, moved to the Netherlands, and flown there. The first flight of a prototype aircraft (c / n 526) was on 3 March 1921. Shortly after the prototype flew, aircraft production in Germany was brought to a complete halt by the Allies. The plane was dismantled and transported to the Netherlands, where the test program has been completed. Until 1923, the K16 was in one of the hangars factory Fokker, and was then shown at air show in Gothenburg.
It was stored by Fokker until the restrictions were relaxed and work recommenced at Junkers' Dessau factory in 1924. The wingspan of the prototype was 11 m but production aircraft wingspan was 12.80 m and with an improved rudder.
In 1924, at the plant in Dessau the first production K16a was built. It differed from the prototype of the new chassis, improved aerodynamics and Siemens Sh 5 engine of 85 hp. It is possible to increase the payload of the aircraft up to 315 kg and reach a maximum speed of 170 km / h.
The initial production in 1924 was followed by two more versions. The K16ba with a new wing (span increased to 12.80 m to 11 m compared with the prototype) and K16be / K16ba version of the engine Bristol Lucifer (100 hp). In 1927 came the K16bi / K16ba version with a Siemens Sh 12 (125 hp) engine, and the last variant, the K16bo with a Walter NZ-120 (120 hp) engine.
Junkers entered two K 16s in the 1925 Deutsche Rundflug, with one machine winning second place in the competition.
By this time, however, the airline niche that the tiny K 16 had been intended to fill no longer existed, and the seventeen that were produced were mostly sold to private owners. They were delivered with different motors, mainly with "Siemens & Halske AG" radial engines from Berlin-Spandau.
K 16 - initial version with Siemens-Halske Sh 4 engine, later changed to Sh 5
K 16a - modified undercarriage and rear fuselage (modified from prototype)
K 16b - production versions with new wing and a variety of engine choices:
K 16ba - Siemens-Halske Sh 5 engine
K 16bi - Siemens-Halske Sh 20 engine
K 16bo - Walter NZ 120 engine
K 16c - as K 16b but with modified nose section to accommodate engine change
K 16ce - Bristol Lucifer engine
K 16 prototype
Engine: 1 × Siemens-Halske Sh 4, 49 kW (65 hp)
Length: 8.00 m (26 ft 3 in)
Wingspan: 11.00 m (36 ft 1 in)
Height: 2.75 m (9 ft 0 in)
Wing area: 16.50 m2 (178 ft2)
Empty weight: 430 kg (950 lb)
Gross weight: 850 kg (1,870 lb)
Maximum speed: 145 km/h (91 mph)
Range: 600 km (375 miles)
Crew: One pilot
Capacity: 2 passengers
Engine: Siemens Sh 4, 47 kW / 65 hp
Span: 12,80 m
Length: 8.00 m
Height: 2.75 m
Wing area: 19,00 m²
Max weight: 850 kg
Top speed: 150 km / h