Fokker S.11 Instructor / T.21
In 1946, just after World War II, Fokker started design studies for a lowwing primairy trainer with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage. Soon the Luchtstrijdkrachten (LSK) and Frits Diepen participated in the development of the Fokker S-11. On 8 October 1946, Frits Diepen Vliegtuig NV (FDV.NV) ordered 100 aircraft of the type for resale. 41 went to the Israeli Air Force. On 18 December 1947, the prototype of the Fokker S.11 (PH-NBE c/n 6187) flew first, powered by a 190 hp Lycoming O-435-A six-cylinder air-cooled engine. On 12 March 1948, the second prototype of the Fokker S-11 (PH-NBF c/n 6188) flew first. During testing it was found that some aerodynamic changes had to be made to improve the handling of the aircraft. Both prototypes were modified in 1948 and were used as demonstrators until PH-NBF crashed in Sweden on 16 June 1949. After the loss of the second prototype, the first prototype was broken up and the registration was cancelled on 10 May 1950.
The construction of the Fokker S-11 was improved and the aircraft entered production. The LSK ordered 39 aircraft and in 1950 the first Fokker S.11-1 Instructors entered service with the Koninklijke Luchtmacht (former LSK). The Fokker S.11-1 served with the Koninklijke Luchtmacht (Royal Netherlands Air Force) first with the EVO at Woensdrecht AFB. In 1968 the EVO (Elementaire Vlieger Opleiding) moved to Gilze-Rijen AFB. Next to the Royal Netherlands Air Force, the Fokker S.11 was delivered to the air arms of Brazil, Israel and Italy.
Until production of the Fokker S-11 in the Netherlands ended in 1953 a total of 101 aircraft were built.
Next to the Dutch production, the Fokker S.11 was manufactured under licence by Aermacchi in Italy as the Macchi M.416 and by Fokker Industria Aeronautica SA / Fabrica do Galeao in in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, designated T.21. Macchi, together with IMAM, built 180 of them. 100 were constructed for the Brazilian Air Force.
Aermacchi M.416 (courtesy Franco Zanaboni)