Main Menu

de Havilland Aeronautical Technical School T.K.2
 
 DH-TK2-04
 
The T.K.2 was designed by students of the de Havilland Aeronautical Technical School as a high speed tourer, under the leadership of Marcus Langley, the school's instructor in design. It was a single-engined, two-seat low cantilever wing monoplane, with an enclosed cockpit and fixed spatted undercarriage.
 
It first flew on 16 August 1935 at Hatfield Aerodrome, piloted by Hubert S. Broad, and powered by a 147 hp (110 kW) de Havilland Gipsy Major inverted inline engine. Subsequently, for racing purposes, the passenger seat was usually replaced with an additional fuel tank.
 
 DH-TK2-01
 
It won two races before World War II, and afterwards set a class closed circuit speed record.
 
 DH-TK2-03
 
In late 1935 or early 1936, it received a more aerodynamically refined canopy, and spats extended rearwards. In 1938, it flew with wings clipped by 4 ft (1.22 m) to 28 ft 0 in (8.53 m) and re-engined with a 140 hp (104 kW) de Havilland Gipsy Major II. At the same time, the forward canopy section was revised again, its sides extended downwards below the rear cockpit rim. Post-WWII, it flew with a Gipsy Major 10 engine. The aircraft was not intended for production, and only one T.K.2 was built. It was test flown on various occasions under 'B conditions' with identities E-3, E-5 and E-0235, but otherwise carried the official registration G-ADNO.

DH-TK2-02

Engine: 1 × de Havilland Gipsy Major, 147 hp (110 kW)
Wingspan: 32 ft 0 in (9.75 m)
Wing area: 125 sq.ft (11.6 sq.m)
Length: 22 ft 5 in (6.83 m)
Empty weight: 1,049 lb (476 kg)
Gross weight: 1,600 lb (726 kg)
Maximum speed: 182 mph (293 km/h)
Crew: 2
 
 DH-TK2-05
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2019 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.