The Fairey N.4 was a 1920s British five-seat long range reconnaissance flying boat. Designed and built by the Fairey Aviation Company to meet an Admiralty requirement for a very large four-engined reconnaissance aircraft, it was the world's biggest flying boat when it first flew in 1923.
The first N.4 (named Atalanta) first flew in 1923 powered by four 650 hp (485 kW) Rolls-Royce Condor IA piston engines. The hull had been built in Southampton (by boat builders) and delivered to Lytham St. Annes for assembly and the complete aircraft was then dismantled and taken by road to the Isle of Grain for its first flight.
The second N.4 Mk II (named Titania) included improvements and later variant Condor III engines. Titania was not flown straight away and was stored, not flying until 1925.
Engines: 4 × Rolls-Royce Condor III, 650 hp (485 kW) each
Length: 60 ft 0 in (20.12 m)
Wingspan: 139 ft 0 in (42.37 m)
Wing area: 2900 ft2 (269.41 m2)
Gross weight: 31612 lb (14339 kg)
Maximum speed: 115 mph (185 km/h)
Endurance: 9 hours 0 min
Service ceiling: 14,100 ft (4300 m)
0.303in (7.7mm) Lewis machine-gun (in nose and beam positions)
1000lb (454kg) of bombs