Appearing outwardly nearly identical to the Albatros B.III of 1914, the C.III model entered service in 1915. Like the unarmed B.III, the C.III had a fish-style tail that not only improved handling but became a distinguishing feature of the Albatros single--seat scouts. The ply-covered fuselage had a roomy rear cockpit for the observer, with Schneider ring mount for the Parabellum machine-gun. Nearly all also had a fixed Spandau (almost the same 7.92-mm gun) firing ahead on the right side of the engine, and equipped with synchronization gear to enable it to fire between the propeller blades.
Though used mainly for reconnaissance and artillery spotting, the C.III could carry 100 kg (220 lb) of bombs in a compartment between the cockpits. Powered by the 160-hp Mercedes D.III engine, the C.III was built by seven manufacturers and served on all fronts until mid-1917 when it was withdrawn for use in the training role.
Engine: 1 x Mercedes IIIe, 160hp.
Length: 26 ft 3 in (8m)
Wingspan: 38 ft 4 in (11.70m)
Height: 10.17ft (3.10m)
Maximum Speed: 87mph (140kmh; 76kts)
Service Ceiling: 11,155ft (3,400m; 2.1miles)
Maximum Take-Off Weight: 2,983lbs (1,353kg)
Armament: 1 or 2 x 7.92mm Parabellum machine gun and 1x Spandau 7.92-mm machine-gun (most)
Bombload: 100 kg (220 lb)