Aircraft Disposal Co ADC 1
With the liquidation of the Martinsyde Company in February 1924, and the acquisition of its stores, stocks and goodwill by the Aircraft Disposal Company (A.D.C.), development of the Buzzard continued under the design leadership of John Kenworthy. This resulted in the A.D.C.1, which was fundamentally an F.4 Buzzard airframe with a 380 hp Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar radial engine.
The prototype A.D.C.1 was first flown on 11 October 1924, subsequently participating in the 1925 and 1926 King’s Cup races, and considerable foreign interest was displayed in the type. In the event, only one order for the A.D.C.1 materialised, from Latvia and comprising eight aircraft which were delivered in 1926, at least two of these surviving until 1938.
Engine, Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar radial, 380 hp
Span, 32 ft 9 in (9,98 m)
Length, 25 ft 0 in (7,62 m)
Wing area, 320 sq ft (29,73 sq.m)
Empty weight, 1,865 lb (846 kg)
Loaded weight, 2,650 lb (1202 kg)
Max speed, 163 mph (262 km/h) at sea level
Time to: 5,000 ft (1525 m), 2.42 min
Time to 10,000ft: 5min 30sec
Time to 15,000ft: 17min 30sec
Service ceiling; 27,000ft
Armament: two synchron-ised 0.303-in (7,7 mm) Vickers guns