Adkisson SJ-1 Head Skinner
Earl ("Skeezix") and Jerry Adkisson, two brothers at Tuscola airport, joined the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) in 1955 and began gathering material for their construction project in the Autumn of that year. Their aircraft would be patterned after the P.Z.L. P.24, a popular Polish gull-winged fighter aircraft of World War II.
Using wings from a 1946 Luscombe 8, cut and re-formed into the gull-wing configuration, the cabin and forward fuselage section were formed of steel tubes. A Luscombe tailcone was attached to the aft end of the steel-tube frame, and standard Luscombe tail surfaces were adapted, with their tips squared off. The spring-steel main landing gear was taken from a Cessna. The planned engine was a 125 to 145 hp (93 to 108 kW) Warner radial engine, but settled for a 65 hp (48 kW) Continental A65 driving a Beech-Robey controllable propeller in the initial installation.
The craft first flew in 1957 and only one was built. The original 65hp Continental was replaced by a 125hp Lycoming O-290-G4 by John Canfield circa 1963.
Engine: 1 × Lycoming O-290-G4, 125 hp (93 kW)
Capacity: 300 lb (136 kg)
Length: 20 ft 0 in (6.10 m)
Wingspan: 24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)
Useful load: 300 lb
Maximum speed: 156 kn; 290 km/h (180 mph)
Cruise speed: 130 kn; 241 km/h (150 mph)
Stall speed: 52 kn; 97 km/h (60 mph)
Range: 300 mi