Avro 503 / Type H
The Avro 503 was a development of the earleir Avro 501, powered by a 100 h.p. Gnome and was initially known as the Type H. it was a slightly larger version of the Avro 501 and featured less of a overhang on the mainplane and no inclined struts. Designated as the Avro Type H. 501, the seaplane was designed for simple and fast dismantling of the aircraft.
The prototype of the Avro 503 first flew from Avro's facility at Shoreham on the River Adur on 28 May 1913. On the following day led Avro test pilot FP Raynham made the first landing on the sea near Brighton. The floats were damaged and were reinforced at the front. On 12 June 1913 was a one hour demonstration flight over Brighton, followed by Raynham taking a passenger. Following a demonstration flight in front of the Inspector of Naval Aircraft an order for three was placed for the RNAS. All machines from September 1914 were converted into land planes.
The Avro 503 was built under licence by Gotha as the WD.1.
Another 503 was ordered by the Peruvian government, however the delivery did not take place due to the outbreak of the First World War.
A 503 crashed on 11 August 1915 and another on 7 April 1917
The prototype, now called the Avro 503, was bought by the German government in late June 1913 and became the first aircraft to fly almost 40 miles (64km) across the North Sea from Wilhelmshaven to Heligoland. It had been test flown in England by a German Naval Officer named Captain Schultz in June 1913.
The pilot was too ill to attend the inquest.