Armstrong Whitworth F.K.9
The F.K.9 two-seat fighter-reconnaissance quadruplane was built by Sir W G Armstrong Whitworth & Co Ltd as a private venture. Initially flown in the summer of 1916, trials dictated a number of modifications, including new wings with enlarged ailerons, an enlarged fin, a redesigned engine cowling and increased undercarriage track.
Powered by a 110hp Clerget 9Z rotary engine, and with one fixed 7.7mm Vickers gun and one free 7.7mm Lewis gun, the F.K.9 was officially tested in November-December 1916 at the Central Flying School. A production contract for 50 examples of an improved version, the F.K.10, was awarded.
Engine: Clerget 9Z rotary, 110hp
Wingspan: 8.46 m / 27 ft 9 in
Length: 7.87 m / 25 ft 10 in
Height: 3.45 m / 11 ft 4 in
Wing area: 32.98 sq.m / 354.99 sq ft
Take-off weight: 924 kg / 2037 lb
Empty weight: 556 kg / 1226 lb
Max speed: 151 km/h / 94 mph
Armament: 1 x fixed .303 Vickers mg, 1 x Scarff-mounted .303 Vicker mg