Miles Aircraft Ltd
Phillips & Powis Aircraft was formed in 1935 to take over the aircraft manufacturing business operated by Phillips & Powis Aircraft (Reading) Ltd., which had produced the initial Miles Hawk series of light aircraft.
The name changed in October 1943 to Miles Aircraft, as successor to Phillips & Powis Aircraft Ltd. at Woodley, Reading.
Miles met financial demise and went into liquidation in November 1947, and was acquired by Handley Page (Reading) Ltd in 1947.
Developed M.33 Monitor target tug. Manufacture included M.38 Messengers, some at Newtownards, Northern Ireland, M.57 Aerovan light freighters, M.65 Gemini light twins. Also developed M.68 Boxcar, with detachable freight container; M.71 Merchantman, which was enlarged four-engined Aerovan, and M.60 Marathon feederliner, later produced by Handley Page.