Formed originally by Blohm und Voss in 1933 (see BV). Aircraft production resumed 1956 with license manufacture of Nord Noratlas for Luftwaffe. Co-operated in license-production of Luftwaffe Lockheed F-104Gs and assisted with design work of Fokker F28 and Dornier Do 31E V/STOL project. HFB 320 Hansa Jet 6/11 seat business jet first flew 1964.
Merged with Messerschmitt-Bolkow in 1969 to form MBB.