Aeronautical Corporation of Great Britain Ltd
Light Aircraft Ltd
AAD Lang established the Lang Propeller Works at Weybridge, Surrey in 1913 and at its peak the company supplied wooden propellers to nearly every aeroplane company in Britain.
Light Aircraft Ltd of Hanworth, Middlesex, was registered on 26 August 1935 by Flt-Lt Bernard J.W. Brady and John Vivian Prestwich, son of JAP engine maker and founder, John Alfred Prestwich. Light Aircraft acquired the British Empire license to manufacture the American designed Aeronca C.3 from the Murray Aeronautical Corporation of Canada. Pending production of British model called the Aeronca 100, 16 American-built C-3 airframes were assembled at Hanworth, London.
In April 1936 the Aeronautical Corporation of Great Britain, Ltd. (Originally styled Aeronco) was incorporated, through a merger of Lang Propellers Ltd, Light Aircraft Ltd and Aircraft Accessories Ltd. Besides Brady and Prestwich, directors included H.V. Roe, who with his brother A.V. Roe had founded A.V. Roe & Co Ltd. in 1913. Lang did not continue with the new concern and joined the Board of Hordern-Richmond, another British company which was closely involved in the development and production of airscrews and propellers. Sales were to be dealt with through Aircraft Exchange and Mart, another of Brady’s companies. Aeronco also contracted J.A. Prestwich & Company, Ltd. (J.A.P.) in London to build a dual-ignition version of the Aeronca E-113C engine under license as the Aeronca-J.A.P. J-99. This engine was used extensively in British light aircraft.
Business was set up at the Aircraft Accessories factory (the Walton works) in Peterborough, which had originally been the site of Frederick Sage & Co. Ltd. A version of the Aeronca C-3, with fabric-covered ailerons instead of metal and British specification materials, designated the Aeronca 100 was produced, but the expected sales never materialized and only 24 were manufactured before production was halted. An improved version, the Aeronca 300 was in development when financial scandal saw the whole of the original board resign in April 1937, but on November 5th, 1937, the Aeronautical Corporation of Great Britain declared bankruptcy.
On 16 September 1938, Brady, along with John PA Fulton, another director from Aircraft Exchange and Mart, formed the Peterborough Aircraft Company Ltd to acquire what little remained of Aeronca, including the uncompleted Aeronca 300. A revised version of that was produced as the Peterborough Ely, but met with no success.