Lewis and Vought Corporation of Long Island, New York, built training aircraft in 1918 to designs of Chance M. Vought, for U.S. Army.
From 1936 concentrated primarily upon manufacture for the US Navy, major programs including the SB2U Vindicator scout-bomber, OS2U Kingfisher observation aircraft, and F4U Corsair single-seat naval fighter. Of the massive production of the wartime Corsair, which continued until 1952, Vought alone built more than 7,700.
Joined with Sikorsky Division of UAC in April 1939 to form Chance Vought and Sikorsky Aircraft Division of United Aircraft Corporation. Vought and Sikorsky were reconstituted in January 1943 as separate manufacturing divisions of UAC, so that Sikorsky could concentrate on helicopter development and Vought on combat aircraft, primarily the F4U and OS2U. On 1 July 1954 the company became independent of UAC, under the new name of Chance Vought Aircraft Inc. Chance Vought moved headquarters to Stratford, Connectictut. Vought-Sikorsky products at this time included the Sikorsky-designed VS- 43 and VS-44 flying-boats and the historic VS-300, the world's first fully practical helicopter, from which the production R-4 and R-5 and later designs were developed. After the war, Chance Vought Aircraft Division moved to Dallas, Texas, in 1948-1949, and produced its first jet fighter for the US Navy, the F6U Pirate. Became Chance Vought Aircraft Inc. after becoming separate and independent from UAC on July 1,1954. Main product during this stage of its history was the unorthodox F7U Cutlass, in production 1952-1955 for the U.S. Navy. Deliveries began also in 1957 of the F-8 (originally F8U) Crusader, development and production of which continued as the LTV F-8 after further company metamorphoses into Chance Vought, Chance Vought & Sikorsky VS-44A Excalibur flying-boat, Chance Vought F7U Cutlass carrier-based fighter Corporation (from December 31,1960), and a merger on August 31,1961 with Ling-Temco Electronics Inc. to form Ling-Temco-Vought Inc.
Within the latter structure, Vought became, successively, the Aerospace Division of LTV, then Vought Aeronautics Company (Division of LTV Aerospace Corporation). Corsair II production under the name of the Vought Corporation. In 1964 in combination with Hiller-Ryan developed the XC-142A VTOL transport with swivelling wings. LTV Electro-systems developed the L450F quiet reconnaissance aircraft in 1970.
Since January 1,1976 it has continued its activities as Vought Corporation, a subsidiary of the LTV Corporation.
Undertook considerable subcontract work, including on B-2 and many transport aircraft. Teamed with Argentina to propose Pampa 2000 for JPATS program, but not selected. Took name Vought once again in 1992. Became LTV Aircraft Products Group in 1986 and LTV Aerospace and Defense Company 1990. Following 1992 sale of 49 percent stock in LTV to Northrop and Carlyle Group, became Vought Aircraft Company, finally merging as a division of Northrop Grumman in 1994 after remaining stock purchased, becoming Northrop Grumman's headquarters for its Commercial Aircraft Division.