Main Menu

Canadian Car & Foundry

 

The Canadian Car and Foundry Company Ltd, called CCF and later Can-Car, was established in 1909 as a manufacturer of railway rolling stock, with its head office in Montreal and production facilities in several other locations.


In 1937 acquired license to build Grumman GE-23 (FF-1) two-seat biplane fighters, in factory at Fort William, Ontario. Built prototype of FDB-1 fighter biplane in 1938. Orders for large numbers of Avro Ansons, Hawker Hurricanes, Avro Lancasters, and Curtiss Helldivers were received. Seven new factories opened by mid- Second World War.
Early post-war obtained Canadian license for Burnelli "lifting fuselage" designs; flew prototype CBY-3 (twin Wasp engines) August 1945. Accommodation was three crew plus 38 passengers or 22 passengers and freight. Development of CBY-3 by subsidiary Cancargo. In 1947 acquired assets of Noorduyn Aviation Ltd.; continued manufacture of Mk V Norseman and variants until early 1950s; resold it to its designer in 1953. In early 1950s designated products "Can-Car," beginning with North American Harvard Mk 4s built under license at Fort William for RCAF and NATO air forces. Gained contract to build 100 BeechcraftT-34A Mentor piston-engined trainers in 1952-1953 for USAF and also for RCAF. Retitled Canadian Car Company Ltd in mid/late 1950s.

 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.