Main Menu

E.N.V. Motor Syndicate
 
E.N.V. was an early manufacturer of aircraft engines, originally called the London and Parisian Motor Company their first model appearing in 1908. E.N.V. engines were used by several pioneer aircraft builders and were produced in both France and the UK until about 1914.
 
The London and Parisian Motor Co. was an Anglo-French venture registered in London in 1908 and largely backed with British capital and expertise. The castings and forgings for its engines were made in Sheffield where the company was originally based, then taken to France for assembly. The reason for this was that there was much more aeronautical activity in France than in England in 1908, but the French were taxing imported machinery. The French works were in Courbevoie in the Paris suburbs. By 1909 there was more aviation activity in England and E.N.V. decided to begin full manufacture at home, at Willesden, London. At that time a separate company was formed to produce the aero-engines in Willesden, The E.N.V. Motor Syndicate Ltd. E.N.V. was a contraction of French phrase "en-V" ("in a V"), which was a common name at the time for a V-engine. Most of their engines were 90° V-8s — the idea for the V8 engine itself originated with French engineer Leon Levavasseur in 1902. All of E.N.V.'s V8 engines were water-cooled inline engines. The first two models were powerful but heavy, while the later "D" and "F" types were lighter yet reliable, with power ratings of 37 hp (26 kW) and 74 hp (51 kW) respectively. These were widely used from 1909 in both Britain and France; in England well known pioneers like S.F. Cody, A.V. Roe, Claude Grahame-White, Moore-Brabazon and T.O.M. Sopwith used them.
 
In France, pioneers such as Henri Rougier, Pierre de Caters, Arthur Duray and Rene Metrot won prizes flying E.N.V. powered Voisin aircraft, and other French manufacturers like Farman and Antoinette used E.N.V.s in some of their machines. After about mid-1911, these water-cooled inline engines began to fall out of favour, superseded by the much lighter air-cooled radial engines from Anzani and in particular by the high-performing newcomer, the rotary engine, introduced by the Gnome et Rhône company. A good power-to-weight ratio was rather less critical for use in airship installations, and several used E.N.V. engines. The 100 hp (75 kW) V-8 submitted to the Naval and Military Aero Engine Contest of 1914 proved to have serious design flaws and as a result of its failure E.N.V withdrew from engine production.
 
E.N.V. Motors was incorporated on 30 May 1919 which then acquired on 3 June 1919 the engineering business of Joseph Frederick Laycock who traded under the name of E.N.V. Motor Company at Willesden. The property and assets were acquired for £45,000 and new company invested in new plant and machinery including building a new factory for manufacturing of gearboxes and camshafts for engines and in particular spiral bevel gears. In 1928 the company changed name to E.N.V. Engineering Company Limited.
 
The company continued successful production of bevel gears and camshafts for another 50 years; it produced individual components for several World War I aircraft and tank engines, and after the war built complete gearboxes for the automobile industry. In 1964 it became part of the Eaton, Yale and Towne group, losing its identity in 1968.
 
Production records have been lost, but probably 100-200 E.N.V. engines were made.
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.