Societa Anonima Nieuport-Macchi
Sig. Giulio Macchi was assisted by Nieuport in forming Societa Anonima Nieuport-Macchi at Verese in 1912, mainly to building Nieuport designs under license but also several original parasol monoplanes. During First World War built Nieuport XIs under the designation Nieuport 110 or 11000, as well as Nieuport XVII, Nieuport 27 and 29. Also undertook the manufacture of the French Hanriot HD1 sesquiplane fighter at its Varese plant during 1915.
A Lohner L.40 flying-boat captured in May 1915 was copied by Macchi within a month as the L.1 and began a series of single-engined biplane flying boats. During First World War built the M-3 fighter and M-5 biplane flying-boat, which developed into M-7 which won 1921 Schneider Trophy, an achievement repeated by M-39 in 1926. MC.72 floatplane set world airspeed record of 709.19km/h on 23 October1933.
Societa Anonima Nieuport-Macchi was renamed Aeronautica Macchi in 1922.
Pre-Second World War commercial flying-boats included the 12-seat MC.94 and 26-seat MC.100. The MC.200 Saetta fighters was produced from 1937, and developed into the MC.202 Falgore, and MC.205 Veltro.
After the Second World War, the company began producing motorcycles as a way to fill the post-war need for cheap, efficient transportation. The motorcycle branch was sold in 1974.
Post-war developments included MB.308 two/three-seat cabin monoplane, also built in Argentina by German Bianco Sa, MB.320 six-seat light twin and 150 M.416 license-built Fokker S.11 trainers. Joint program with Fiat to build Vampire FB.52As, followed by MB.326 jet trainer, first flown December 10,1957 and later produced also in two-seat and single-seat armed strike trainer forms. Lockheed of U.S.A. acquired a shareholding in Aermacchi in 1959, which became known as Aermacchi in 1961, as a subsidiary of Aeronautica Macchi.
Production began 1960 of Aermacchi-Lockheed AL.60 light cabin monoplane, built under rights obtained from Lockheed of USA. 1981 reorganization of Aeronautica Macchi into a holding company, made Aermacchi SpA a subsidiary, undertaking aircraft activities.
In 1983 Aeritalia bought a 25% shareholding.
First flight in August 1976 of the MB-339 jet trainer and light attack aircraft, while in 1996 Aermacchi took over L-90TP RediGO from Valmet of Finland (redesignated M-290TP RediGO). In January 1997 Aermacchi acquired SIAI Marchetti, inheriting the S211 jet trainer and SF260 piston/turboprop light aircraft. Partner programs include the AMX combat aircraft with EMBRAER of Brazil and Alenia of Italy, and Yak/Aem-130 jet trainer with Yakovlev of Russia. In 1992 the AMX (previously Aermacchi had a 23.8% share of the programme) was transferred entirely to Aermacchi to form a single source for jet trainers.
Since the mid-1990s, Alenia Aermacchi has participated in programs for the supply of engine nacelles for civil aircraft. It produces cold parts for engine nacelles: inlets, fan cowls and EBU, the systems-to-engine interface. In 1999, the company established a joint venture (MHD) with Hurel-Dubois, a French company specializing in the development and manufacture of thrust reversers, to obtain the full responsibility for the development of nacelles installed on maximum 100-seat aircraft.
In July 2003, Aermacchi was integrated into the Finmeccanica Group as Alenia Aermacchi, which increased its shareholding to 99%.
Other work includes production of major components and assemblies for foreign military and commercial aircraft and in 2005 Aermacchi had 1795 employees.
Since the beginning, the design and production of military trainers have been Alenia Aermacchi's core business.
The products include:
SF-260, piston-engined or turboprop-powered screener/primary trainer
MB-326, turbofan engined trainer and light attack aircraft
M-311, basic turbofan trainer
MB-339CD, advanced and lead-in fighter trainer
M-346, advanced and lead-in fighter trainer of the new generation
Alenia Aermacchi has cooperated in international military programs:
AMX Program :
Alenia Aermacchi took part in the AMX program with Alenia Aeronautica and Embraer of Brazil with a total share of 24%. Alenia Aermacchi developed and manufactured the fuselage forward and rear sections and installs some avionic equipment in the aircraft. A Mid-Life Updating program was required by the Italian Air Force to upgrade the aircraft capabilities.
Panavia Tornado program :
Alenia Aermacchi designed and produced wing pylons and wing tips, roots, trailing edges and flaps, which represented a 5% share in the overall program.
Eurofighter program :
Alenia Aermacchi had a share of more than 4% in the Eurofighter program, for the design and development of wing pylons, twin missile and twin store carriers, ECM pods, carbon fiber structures and titanium engine cowlings.
C-27J program :
After participating in the G-222 transport aircraft program, the company was involved in the Military Transport Aircraft C-27J Spartan, for the production of outer wings.