Edgar J. Lesher, 1914 – 1998, earned an undergraduate degree in mathematics during the Great Depression, then did graduate studies in this subject and physics. Prior to World War II, he taught ground school for the Civilian Pilot Training Program and earned his own pilot’s license.
In 1942 Ed joined the University of Michigan’s Department of Aeronautical Engineering, where he taught until retirement in 1985. Ed Lesher was a professor of aeronautical engineering, who used breaks in his academic career to perform design work at Douglas, Stinson and Convair Aircraft.
Attendance at a fledgling Experimental Aircraft Association Fly-In in 1958 inspired Lesher to design and fabricate two aircraft of his own. One of them, the Lesher Teal, set several international records for speed and distance.
Ed also found time to do set design and act at the Ann Arbor Civic Theater and to sing in the Ann Arbor Civic Chorus.
Ed and his wife Margaret had ten children, including four sets of twins. Lesher died in 1998.