The Kamov Ka-18 (NATO reporting name Hog) was a four-seat development of the Ka-15M. Retaining the same engine, rotor, transmission, control systems and landing gear, the main changes were to the fuselage, which was stretched to make room for two passengers and a baggage compartment (up to 200kg). The doors hinged at the rear, and 176 litres of fuel was in floor tanks. De-icing of the blades and windscreen used alcohol, and an exhaust heater muff fed hot air on demand to the cabin.
The prototype was completed in 1956 and flight testing began early in 1957.
In 1958 the Ka-18 was awarded a Gold Medal at the World Exhibition in Bruxelles.
The Ka-18 was produced with blind-flying instruments and an optional 70-litre ferry tank for AV-MF, VVS and Aeroflot.
A limited number of the Ka-18 were built for use as air ambulances and for forestry patrol, geological survey and agricultural work. Towards the end of 1960, the production aircraft were given a 275hp AI-14VF engine (VF stands for Vertolet Forsirovannie meaning helicopter with turbocharger) instead of the AI-14V, thus enabling the payload to be increased by about 100kg and the ceiling by 300-500m. The chord of the end plate fins was also enlarged.
There was a Uka-18 dual control variant.
Approximately 200 were built.
Engine: 1 x Ivchenko AI-14VF, 200kW / 280 hp
Rotor diameter: 10.0m
Max take-off weight: 1502kg
Max speed: 160km/h
Cruising speed: 130km/h
Service ceiling: 3500m
Range with max fuel: 450km
Range with max payload: 300km