Kamov Ka-10 Hat
By 1948 Kamov had completed drawings an improved and enlarged (but still single-seat) machine. The structure was similar to the Ka-8 but refined. A co-axial helicopter for observation and liaison duties designated Ka-10, it was designed to meet a general operational requirement (GOR) submitted by the Naval Air Arm.
The rotor diameter was increased by 0.2m over the Ka-8, and blade camber was introduced. Significant changes were made to the helicopter's control system.
The AI-4G engine was completely new, designed by Ivchenko for this application with two stages of reduction gearing, freewheel with centrifugal clutch and improved power split between rotors. It was fitted with electric start and engine-driven cooling fan.
The first Ka-10 was flown by D.K.Yefremov in September 1949. It was followed by three more prototypes and eight Ka-10M pre-production models; the latter were distinguished by the fact that they had a different rotor assembly and an endplate fin tail unit instead of the single fin of the Ka-10.
These helicopters were tested at length by AV-MF, and one made the first Soviet deck landing on 7 Dec 1950.
ASCC reporting name "Hat".
Engine: 1 x AI-4G, 40kW
Rotor diameter: 5.8m
Fuselage length: 3.9m
Max take-off weight: 370kg
Max speed: 90km/h
Service ceiling: 2500m