Kamov Ka-8 Vertolet
Official disinterest in autogyro made Kamov switch to helicopters, and he decided to build one-man Vozdushnii Mototsikl (flying motorcycle) for civil or military use in 1946. It is reported to have taken 18 months before permission was granted to organize a small informal group and build the Ka-8.
The design featured coaxial rotors, each with three built-up wooden (mainly spruce) blades of NACA-230 profile with glued construction and fabric covering. Metal root of the blades was held in the hub with drag and flapping hinges driven by superimposed swashplates moved directly by pilot. The rest of the airframe was welded steel tube, with the pilot and fixed fin at the rear and the engine and fuel tank at front, resting on two pontoons of rubberized fabric.
The Ka-8 was powered with a 27 hp motorcycle engine, boosted to 45 hp by using alcohol for fuel.
First flown in 1947, piloted by Mikhail Gurov, the low output of the two-cylinder motorcycle engine and its unsuitability for aeronautical use handicapped the aircraft.
The handlebar flight control was replaced by a vertical collective and cyclic levers, pontoons tapered front to rear, and the fin was changed to rudder driven by pedals.
It was the first single-place helicopter built in USSR.
The Ka-8 "Irkut" performed on July, 25, 1948 at the Tushino airfield in Moscow during the airforce parade.
Only three were built.
After this aircraft made its successful flights Nikolai Kamov was ordered to design the new helicopter for Soviet Navy.
Engine: 1 x M-76, 20kW
Rotor diameter: 5.6m
Max take-off weight: 275kg
Empty weight: 183kg
Max speed: 80km/h
Service ceiling: 250m
Hovering ceiling: 40m-50m
Engine: 20 hp. Aubier-Dunne
Rotors: 2 x 3-blade co-axial.