The A.E.G. helicopter designed by R. Schmidt was attached to the ground by a system of three tethering cables which helped to stabilise. R. Schmidt worked from about 1933 and this work was finalised in 1940 in the shape of a tethered electric helicopter for use as an aerial observation or support post for the army.
The helicopter had two two-blade rotors mounted co-axially, one being attached to the shaft and one to the shell of an electric motor. Three fixed arms were attached above the upper rotor, and these arms not only supported the cabin below but served as the cable attachment points for tethering. In the event of engine failure, the observer escaped by using a parachute blown into the air by a powder charge.
The three tethering cables were also used to feed power to the motor from a ground source via the control panel located in the launching and transporting truck. It was driven by electric motors of 50, later 100 and 200 horsepower and had a lift ranging from 450 to 1250 kilograms. Despite successful trials, the AEG helicopter does not appear to have been adopted for military use.
Engine: 1 x 200hp electric motor
Rotor diameter: 7.92m
Weight fully loaded: 1225kg