Caudron C.59 / C.320
The Caudron C.59 was a French, two-seat biplane with a single engine and a canvas-covered fuselage. The French aircraft manufacturer Caudron made this aircraft between 1922 and 1924. It was suitable for several purposes.
Training aircraft intermediate preparation Caudron C.59 was developed with the assistance of Paul Deville René Talpina, the aircraft has a wooden frame and fabric covering. The ailerons were present only on the upper wing. The student was placed in an open cockpit under the central section of the upper wing, and instructor cabin was directly behind him under the back edge of the wing. The aircraft had dual controls standard.
The prototype flew in August 1921 and after extensive testing was ordered in large quantities for the French Air Force in seven contracts. More than 1,000 aircraft were manufactured and supplied to the French army and remained in service for 15 years.
A large batch of 32 was sold to Turkey. The aircraft arrived at their destination within 1924 to 1926 and were numbered 801-832. The main base was stationed Eskisehir Hava Okulu, where they were widely used until 1936. Then, they gradually began to be replaced by German Gotha Go.145. By the time they complete the withdrawal of the Air Force in 1937, only 7 machines remained in operation. They were handed over to the TNC (Turkish Aviation League), where they remained until 1941.
The Finnish Air Force purchased three Caudron C.59s from France in 1923. The aircraft first carried the air force designation codes 2E3-2E5 and from 1927 on CA-48 – CA-50. The manufacturing numbers of the aircraft were 5407–5409. The aircraft were equipped with landing gear, but there were at least one aircraft (2E3) was fitted with floats. The aircraft were accepted into service on March 8, 1923 and the last one was taken out of service in 1931.
The Caudron C.59 was also used in Bulgaria, China, and in the Spanish Civil War.
There was also a C.59/2 version, which was equipped with a 230 hp (170 kW) Lorraine 7Ma Mizar engine and had a wide track undercarriage.
More than 1,800 Caudron C.59s were manufactured.
Fitted with 230 hp (170 kW) Lorraine 7Ma Mizar radial engine.
c.1932, Original C.59s but refitted with 250 hp (190 kW) Renault 9A 9-cylinder radial engine. Some later returned to their original Hispano engines.
Argentine Air Force
Brazilian Air Force
Bulgarian Air Force
Republic of China Air Force
French Air Force
Finnish Air Force
Portuguese Air Force
Romanian Air Force
Spanish Republican Air Force
Spanish Air Force
Turkish Air Force
Venezuelan Air Force
Engine: 1 × Hispano-Suiza 8Ab, 134 kW (180 hp)
Wingspan: 10.24 m (33 ft 7 in)
Wing area: 26.00 sq.m
Length: 7.80 m (25 ft 7 in)
Height: 2.90 m
Empty weight: 700 kg (1,543 lb)
Gross weight: 988 kg (2,178 lb)
Maximum speed: 170 km/h (106 mph)
Endurance: 3 hr 30 min
Cruising speed: 138 km / h
Practical range: 500 km
Practical ceiling: 5500 m