Main Menu

Shavrov SH-1 / SH-2
 
 Shavrov-SH2-01
 
The Shavrov Sh-2 was developed from the small amphibian Sh-1 prototype design and performed its first flight on November 11, 1930, made from land. The Sh-1 remained a prototype.
 
The first Soviet mass-produced flying boat, the small, wooden Shavrov Sh-2 was a development of the Sh-1, with a more powerful engine and increased size.
 
The Sh-2 could carry two crew members as well as one passenger and during wintertime, the aircraft could be equipped with skis. The small lower wing served as attachment for the stabilizing floats. It was a light, simple and reliable design.
 
The Sh-2 passed State Acceptance trials for operation from water and land on June 12–17, 1934, without problems. Series productions was initiated on 1 April 1934, and ended two years later. However, due to its successful design and the popularity among its pilots, production was restarted in 1939. Total production was up to at least 700 aircraft, several hundred of those being built after 1939, possibly up to 1950.
 
The Sh-2 served throughout the Soviet Union as a utility transport, for liaison, and as a trainer, and for many years was used on fishery protection duties and frontier patrol work. They supported Arctic operations.
 
Sixteen were built under the designation Sh-2S as air ambulances carrying one or two stretcher patients.
 
In 1939 Aeroflot built additional Sh-2s from available spares and later the type was reinstated in production. As well as use for the civil roles indicated, the Sh-2 was flown by the V-VS as a general-purpose aircraft.
 
 Shavrov-SH2-02
 
A number of later machines had a glazed crew cabin and other refinements, becoming redesignated Sh-2bis most had improved M-11L engines.
 
 Shavrov-SH2-03
 
The aircraft was in service until 1964 and set a number of records among flying boats and seaplanes.
 
On 28 August 1942, the Finns captured two Sh-2s and pressed them into service in the liaison role, as well as carrying the Commander of the Finnish Air Force, until 1944.
 
One plane was constructed by cadets of Egorevsky aviation school of civil aircraft in the USSR, under the direction of teachers, during 1984-86. The plane was sold and delivered to the USA in the 1990s.
 
 Shavrov-SH2-04
Shavrov Sh-2, at the Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum, Maryland Heights, Missouri, USA.
 
Shavrov SH-2
Engine: 1 × Shvetsov M-11A, 75 kW (100 hp)
Propeller: 2-bladed fixed-pitch
Wingspan upper: 13.0 m / 42 ft 8 in
Wingspan lower: 5.4 m / 17 ft 9 in
Wing area: 24.75 m² / 266 ft²
Length: 8.20 m (26 ft 11 in)
Height: 2.80 m (9 ft 2 in)
Empty weight: 680 kg (1,500 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 937 kg / 2,065 lb
Payload: 257 kg (567 lb)
Maximum speed: 140 km/h (87 mph, 76 kn)
Range: 400 km (250 mi, 220 nmi)
Service ceiling: 3,500 m (11,500 ft)
Crew: 1 pilot
Capacity 2 passengers / 257 kg / 567 lb
 
 Shavrov-SH2-05
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2021 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.